Monday, December 28, 2015

Labor

I was a Cytotec induction. Cytotec is a medication that is used prior to Pitocin and it ripens the cervix, or prepares it for labor by softening it. The plan was to do 3 doses of Cytotec every four hours and then after that Pitocin would be started.  Every once in a while medications like Cytotec will put someone into labor and that is exactly what it did to me. I only got two doses of the Cytotec because my contractions were every two to three minutes apart, I was making cervical change and I was getting uncomfortable with my contractions. 

I did one dose of IV pain medication and got up on the birthing ball to try to get through the contractions but it was around 3:30 am that I went ahead and got an epidural. Isaac was amazing while I was so uncomfortable and did a great job in coaching me and keeping me calm during my contractions, he even massaged my back while I was on the birthing ball! The epidural actually had to get replaced because I only got relief on my right side but the anesthesiologist was amazing and quick so it really wasn't a bad experience and once he replaced it, I got complete relief and even got some sleep!


It was then 6:00 am and I was 4 cm so we went ahead and texted the family to give them an update. Shortly after that Dr. Dameron came in to check my cervix and my water broke as she was doing the exam and I was 6-7cm. Shortly after that I started feeling intense pressure and asked to be checked again and I was complete, 10 cm! My epidural got dosed, giving me some relief because at this point I had the urge to push and we were waiting on Dr. Dameron. I started pushing at 9:15 and Miss Lettie Charlotte Taylor was born at 9:33 am. Weighing 7 lb 6 oz and 21 in long!





I still can't believe the labor that I had and I am so happy I was able to experience it. I know that a lot of people may not understand that but all I wanted was to get the chance to experience contractions and get the opportunity to push. I just wanted my body to respond appropriately and have a vaginal delivery!












No comments:

Post a Comment